The Diocese of Southwark Logo.png
The Church Of England Logo.png

St Peter's Church

Bishopsford Road, Morden

Surrey SM4 6BH

Bishop Andrewes' Church

Wigmore Road, Carshalton

Surrey SM5 1RG

  • Facebook Social Icon

© 2018 Sean Skinner // Harmony // Wix.com

Church History

We are a small community of people, of all ages, who seek to worship God by sharing the good news of Jesus Christ, and by serving Him in the local community. St Peter's and Bishop Andrewes together serve the St Helier Estate in Morden and Carshalton in south London in partnership with other local churches.

St Peter's Church

St Peter's, built in 1932, enjoys a prominent position at the heart of the estate on the main A217 road between Mitcham and Rose Hill (Bishopsford Road, near the junction with Middleton Road). It is well-known to passers-by because of the distinctive 1970s mural that adorns its front. However, inside it is a light and airy building, looking a lot nicer on the inside than on the outside!

The church, designed by Sir Charles Nicholson, has a nave, aisles and south chapel with a clergy vestry, small choir vestry, kitchen and lavatories An organ gallery above the west entrance covers a porch or narthex. It is built in red/brown bricks with copper roofs and a small belfry.

Bishop Andrewes' Church

Bishop Andrewes' Church was built in 1932 to the distinctive design of Mr Geddes Hyslop. It is tucked away in the residential part of the estate in Wigmore Rd, not far from The Circle shops and just behind Carshalton Boys Sports College. It has a central squat tower with 3 bays of pointed arch construction in reinforced concrete to east and west. The sanctuary occupies the east end and since reordering the worship area terminates at the crossing. A new vestry occupies the north aisle. A large hall now takes up the transepts and crossing with sliding/folding doors in to the worship area to allow for expansion on special occasions. The west end contains a small hall, kitchen, lobby, lavatories, etc. with gallery over.

 

Rather strangely named, this church is the only one in the country named after Bishop Lancelot Andrewes (1555-1626), who was Bishop of Chichester, Ely and Winchester (which then covered this area) and well-known for being one of the translators of the Authorized Version of the Bible under the authority of King James - which became known as the King James Version.